Have you noticed your water bill going up and up with no signs of going down? Do you hear abnormal amounts of water running through your walls? Have you noticed a warm patch on your floor? Is your heating bill going up astronomically? If you answered “Yes” to any of the above questions, chances are you have a slab leak. At ProFlo, we offer quality leak detection services in Temecula, Murrieta, Canyon Lake, and the Inland Empire to ensure your business is safe.
Obvious Signs of a Slab Leak:
- The Sound of Running Water – If you notice the sound of running water when everything should be quiet, water is flowing from some source. If you are unable to find a visual source, you could have a hidden leak under the slab.
- A Hot Spot on the Floor – Hot water lines are always insulated and are not intended to heat the floor. The only exception to this rule is if the water lines are part of a radiant heating system. A warm area on the floor could be an indication of a slab leak.
- Cracks in the Walls or the Floor – There are several possible causes of cracks in the floor or the wall. However, if the ground underneath your commercial establishment is compromised by water flowing from a leak, a great void could open up under the foundation. If this happened, massive stress would be put on the support structures of your business, causing cracks to appear in many different locations.
- Excessive Moisture, Musty Odors or Mildew – A leaking slab allows moisture to creep into the flooring and build up under carpet. The drywall will transmit the water up the wall to the next floor while simultaneously creating the perfect environment for mildew growth. If you find excessive dampness in your carpets or mildew in or on your walls, you may have a slab leak. You should call a certified plumber to investigate further.
- High Water Bills – Abnormally high water bills can occur for a wide variety of reasons. If you are able to rule out possibilities such as a faulty meter, and you know you haven’t increased your water consumption, you may have a leak.
Earthquakes are a normal occurrence in SoCal, and it is vital that you have all of your pipes, especially those under a slab, inspected. The shifting of the earth can cause your pipes to move as well resulting in cracks or disconnected joints. If there is a leak under the slab and it is not repaired, it can cause major damage to your business. It is imperative to have the water supply disconnected and the pipes immediately inspected.